Simulations in Management Training - What is needed?
What is needed to run a business simulation? That depends on the number of participants (usually with between 3 to 6 participants allocated to between 3 and 8 teams per group and as many groups as required to accommodate the total number of participants).As a guide:
- A work space for each team, plus a control room. Each work space should have at least one table, chairs, whiteboards, flipcharts, etc.
- Presentation facilities in the control room for the initial briefing and debriefing.
- Explanatory documentation for each participant - supplied as on-line manuals.
- Catering and, perhaps, accommodation.
- At least one computer and printer for simulation control. Computers for the teams can range from one per person (if the objective is functional, for example, understanding accounts) to none at all if the objective is to force participants to talk and discuss.
- Simulation software - see Available simulations.
- Tutorial staff - at least one to act as control, but possibly more depending on the level of tutorial input or observation needed to meet your objectives.
- Much will depend on the overall objective of the simulation exercise.